Must-Try TikTok Food Trends
by Ashley Martinez, MFN, RDN, LD
Last Updated: May 5, 2021
Over the past year, TikTok has inspired many of us to try new ingredients, discover new dance moves, and even cook differently! TikTok has shown us innovative ideas that are convenient, fun, and easy enough to put together ourselves. With millions and millions of TikTok users actively on the app, a few food trends have gathered popularity and praise. Let’s look at three of the biggest food trends from TikTok and ways to make them even healthier.
Baked Feta Pasta
The TikTok video that had feta flying off the shelf in just about every state, this baked feta pasta recipe adds flavor, color and is as easy as 1-2-3. Using a high protein pasta like chickpea, lentil, or black bean are always easy swaps you can make. With this one-pan dish, add as many vegetables as you would like, especially if they are seasonal! Below is a better-for-you recipe adding plenty of vegetables, protein, and fiber. Make this on a Sunday for dinner and have the leftovers as your meal prep for the week.
- 1 box Chickpea Pasta
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 8oz of a block of feta cheese
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 shallot
- Fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a baking dish, mix tomatoes, shallot, and garlic, then drizzle with olive oil. Add red pepper flakes if you prefer and mix well. Place feta in the center of the dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Prepare chickpea pasta according to pasta instructions. Save ½ cup pasta water before draining.
- Mix in drained pasta into tomato mixture and add a squeeze of lemon. Option to add lemon zest as well. Mix in pasta water to thicken the sauce, adding slowly. You may not have to use the full serving if the sauce is thick enough.
- Top with basil and season to taste.
With this innovative fold, you’ll never fold a tortilla the same again! Stacking your tortilla this way makes it easy to eat without all the mess. Lay your tortilla flat and cut a line halfway through the center. Add cheese to a fourth of the tortilla, then fold up and over covering the ingredient. Next, add your protein, then fold to the left. Lastly, add your vegetables and fold down. Place folded tortilla in a pan and pan-fry on both sides. Here’s a quick recipe for recreating this food trend that adds protein and flavor.
- Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Shredded Chicken
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinara sauce to dip
Mini Pancake Cereal
A fun, kid-like twist on cereal, mini pancakes are on the rise and landing on a few breakfast menus too. Using any pancake mix, mix it well, then add to a squeeze/condiment bottle. Heat a pan to medium, add canola oil once hot, then squeeze small circular shapes onto the pan. Flip and cook until golden brown. Place on paper towel to dry. Add to a bowl, then top with your favorite milk or milk-alternative. Here are a few better for you pancake mixes to use:
- Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix
- Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk
- Krusteaz Buttermilk Protein Pancake and Waffle Mix
Which food trend are you most interested in trying? All of them? We hope so! Keep in mind you can mix and match ingredients to give these recipes the personalization they deserve. If you want it spicy, add hot honey to your pancakes or red pepper chili flakes to your tortilla. If you want it sweet, add ricotta and caramelized bananas to your tortilla. Whatever you make, enjoy what you eat! You‘ll never know how helpful a recipe hack like these can be until you give it a try.
Disclaimer: This information is educational only and not providing healthcare recommendations. Please see a healthcare provider.