With Spring just around the corner, now is the perfect time to start “decluttering” for a healthier you. Research suggests that clutter can cause fatigue, depressed mood, and feelings of stress. Don’t wait, start your spring cleaning today to help decrease stress, improve productivity, and your overall mental and physical health. Decreased cortisol levels and improved sleep quality are key to a healthier you. You can start by setting aside 15-20 minutes daily to tackle that infamous junk drawer, closet, office space, or bedroom. Oh! Don’t forget to include your digital space too.
Follow these basic steps and you will be on your way to a decluttered physical, mental, and digital space:
- Set aside 15-20 minutes daily dedicated to cleaning up a room, drawer, or closet.
- Start with the space you use most often such as your kitchen, living areas, or maybe a home office.
- Start a box/bag/storage container for donation. We all have them, clothes from decades ago that we are hoping to fit into again, those kitchen gadgets that were a must have that now sit, collect dust, and take up our counter and drawer space. It is time to let these items go!
- When was the last time you cleaned up your emails? Old text messages? Voicemail messages on your cell phone?
- Dedicate one of your daily 15-20 minutes to organizing and editing all the hundreds, or maybe thousands, of photos on your phone or computer.
Don’t let the clutter in your life get you down. You will be amazed at the difference having a clutter free physical, mental, and digital space can have on your overall health.
Disclaimer: This information is educational only and not providing healthcare recommendations. Please see a healthcare provider.