Ready to amp up the way you grill keto this summer? This low carb, high fat and protein diet is here to stay and couldn’t tie in more perfectly with the grill. That’s why I’m here to spark your interest with these five unique grilling strategies that will morph you into a true grill master this summer.
- Foil Packets: an unbelievably easy tactic that locks in flavor and aroma, grilled foil packets save you time and cleanup. What could be better? Simply wrap food, roll top and bottom edges and ensure each side is sealed. Place foil packets on the grill and cook about 10-15 minutes. Listed below are a few of my favorite combos:
- Chicken Fajitas: 1 chicken breast, ½ cup bell peppers, ¼ cup onion, ½ lime, low sodium fajita seasoning
- Lemon Garlic Salmon + Asparagus: 1 salmon filet, 1 garlic clove, ½ lemon, 1 TBSP butter, 4 oz asparagus, and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Grilled Cauliflower Nachos: from steaks to nachos, this customizable recipe keeps the net carbs low and the fiber high—an important component to the keto diet.
- Cut cauliflower into 2 inch “steak cuts”. Brush with oil and sprinkle with spices of your liking. Grill on each side for 3-4 minutes until grill marks are achieved. Remove from grill and let cool. Cut cauliflower into smaller pieces, resembling chips. Top with additional protein, vegetables, cheese, and/or nuts.
- Cloud Bread: no carbs=clouds, according to the keto world. This recipe continues to be a keto showstopper as it’s simply made with eggs, cheese, and cream of tartar. But let’s put a spin on this recipe by toasting the finished product right on the grill.
- To achieve this, preheat oven to 300°and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Separate egg whites from yolks into two bowls. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites, then using a hand mixer, beat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add cream cheese to egg yolks and using a hand mixer mix yolks and cream cheese until combined. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites. Divide mixture into 8-10 mounds on a baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes, until golden. Sprinkle each with cheese and toast on the grill 2 to 3 minutes.
- Blended Burger: a cooking technique that combines chopped mushrooms with ground meat, the blended burger is a great way to optimize on vegetable consumption while also keeping total calories lower. Mushrooms provide umami flavor while also taking on the flavor of the meat they are paired with, making them the perfect vegetable for the blend. To switch things up, use the blend to make meatballs and grill for a meatball sub.
- Blistered Shishito Peppers: Shishito peppers add a kick of flavor as they are deliciously hot. Toss peppers in olive oil, salt and pepper and place in a pan on a grill. Grill peppers, tossing often until their skin is slightly blistered. These can be paired with a dipping sauce or the peppers can be blended into a sauce, too. This trendy produce item will be the perfect addition to your keto summer grilling.
Disclaimer: This information is educational only and not providing healthcare recommendations. Please see a healthcare provider.