Tips to improve overall wellness can be as simple as including 5 self-care practices that we’ve listed below into your daily routine. Implementing these mindful practices can jump start you on your path to a healthier lifestyle.
Quality Sleep. We all need good sleep. Research suggests that the average person should be getting 7-9 hours of sleep daily. Getting enough sleep at the right times plays a significant role in our overall health. Research confirms that quality sleep promotes brain, heart, and lung function, helps regulate metabolism, improves immune function and mood, and provides disease resistance. Chronic lack of sleep, or getting poor quality sleep, has been shown to increase our risk of chronic disease including high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, depression, and obesity. Try these tips to improve your quality of sleep:
- Establish a routine bedtime, no matter what.
- Declutter your sleeping space
- Turn off the distractions - No TV, radio, or social media.
Stay hydrated. Are you drinking enough water? Water is essential to human life. Staying hydrated promotes increased cognitive function, plays a vital role in food digestion, and removes unused waste byproducts. Tips to promote hydration:
- Don’t wait until you feel thirsty to drink water
- Consider using a reusable water bottle to keep track of your daily intake
- Drink 8 ounces of water in the morning to start your day and 8 ounces of water before bed
- Avoid sugary and high caffeinated drinks, which can contribute to dehydration
Mindful Eating. Are you getting a well-balanced diet with nutrient-dense foods? Most of us opt for the quickest and cheapest meal options on the go. Here are some tips to encourage mindful eating:
- Ditch the processed and fast foods for fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats.
- Cook at home using meal prep ideas that are quick, easy, and nutrient-dense - meal preparation and planning is key to staying on track and sticking to your plan.
- Consult with a Dietitian to develop an individualized plan based on your needs.
Keep Moving. Remember that saying “A body in motion stays in motion?” This could not be more true! Try these tips to get you moving:
- Go for a quick walk 15 minutes after each meal
- Join a group exercise class
- Find someone to hold you accountable.
Looking for more ways to stay active? Try these tips from our Kroger Health team.
Disconnect for Mental Health. Set aside time in your daily routine to disconnect from work, school, and social media. Designate a few minutes each day for “me time.”
Disclaimer: This information is educational only and not providing healthcare recommendations. Please see a healthcare provider.